Cranberry sauce...that Thanksgiving tradition that you are sure to have leftovers of, am I right? As a kid, I didn't really see the point of it. But now I really love it. I like a bit with each bite of turkey. I'd say I even prefer it to gravy.
Well, folks, cranberry sauce has another important purpose. A purpose that can be fulfilled year-round, if desired. That purpose is as the filling of these scrumptious bars.
I have a friend who has a gluten and soy intolerance, and I wanted to do something special for her. I have a recipe for cranberry bars that is basically a shortbread crust, with cranberry sauce and a crumble top. I adapted that recipe to make this one. It's the kind of recipe that might make you want to become gluten-free, just for the heck of it. It is that good.
These are the only non-pantry-staples this recipe calls for. Be sure to get the "Whole Berry" can of cranberry sauce. The Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Shortbread Cookie Mix was at my Fred Meyer (Kroger family) grocery store. It was about $2 for the bag. You'll also need an orange, butter, 2 egg yolks, water, milk, and powdered sugar.
The little orange flecks are bits of orange zest. Cranberry + orange = WIN.
Here's the recipe:
Gluten Free Cranberry Bars with Orange Drizzle
Makes 15 large square bars
1 21-oz package Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Shortbread Cookie Mix
1.5 sticks (3/4 cup) softened butter
2 egg yolks
3 tablespoons water
1 14-16oz can whole berry cranberry sauce
zest of 1 medium orange
3 tablespoons milk
1 2/3 cups powdered sugar
Directions for Bars
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare 9"x13" baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, egg yolks, and water. Mix in Cookie Mix well. Mixture will be dry and crumbly.
3. Press 2/3 of the mixture into the baking dish. Press it slightly up on the sides to form a short wall.
4. Spread the cranberry sauce evenly over the pressed cookie mix. Sprinkle remaining cookie mixture over the cranberry sauce.
5. Place in center of oven and bake 25 minutes. Cool, then use a pastry bag with a small round tip (or a sandwich bag with a cut corner)to top with Orange Drizzle.
Directions for Orange Drizzle
Mix orange zest and milk in a small mixing bowl. Gradually whisk in powdered sugar until smooth.