My husband and I extended our January No Sugar Challenge to February...And YOU get to benefit! I am sharing another healthy treat. This one will satisfy your chocolate sweet tooth, and it packs a good protein punch! Double WIN!
The main response we get when we tell anyone we are avoiding refined sugars and flours is "WHY???" I admit had to ponder this to give a genuine answer.
In January, my "why" was to clean up my diet after all the holiday junk I consumed at the end of last year. My husband and I extended it into February because we have loved the way we feel. We allow ourselves one "cheat day" each week, but it's not a "binge day." Usually it means we eat something like waffles or chocolate chips (or both, together!). We don't go eat a dozen doughnuts and negate all the good we have done through the week!
We have also upped the ante on our workouts, so these protein brownies especially feel good after a hard bootcamp or trail run! In fact, my husband came home from a tough snow-camping trip with our son and ate the last three (of the second batch I made)!
No Refined Sugar Protein Brownies
Makes 1 9x13 pan
1/2 cup coconut oil, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened (can use all coconut oil, just double salt)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup natural peanut butter (or other nut butter)
1/2 cup chocolate protein powder
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 9x13 baking dish/pan.
2. In a food processor or electric mixer bowl, beat coconut oil and butter until well combined. Add cocoa powder and honey and beat well. Mix in eggs, peanut butter and protein powder until smooth.
3. Whisk coconut flour and sea salt together, then stir into main mixture.
4. Pour into prepared dish, and bake 13-16 minutes, just until top no longer looks wet and edges begin to darken.
5. Cool completely. These taste best cooled or chilled. I liked them at room temperature, but loved them after they sat in the fridge a while. Store in air-tight container, or wrap individually as an easy to grab protein treat!