Fresh blueberries, sweet cream butter, and rich Greek yogurt make this a coffee cake that works for breakfast, brunch, or as a midnight treat. Every part of this cake is delicious--the crust, the baked batter, the berries, and the ribbons of brown sugar and cinnamon!
If you need a fail-safe dessert, a celebratory treat to share, or something to make for a friend who deserves more sweetness in his/her life, this is it! My husband and kids are in love with it, and I ate mine slowly to savor each bite.
Blueberry Brunch Cake
Makes 2 large loaves
1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, softened
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour (whole wheat works)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup plain Greek yogurt (full-fat preferred)
1 3/4 cups fresh blueberries (frozen work)
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 large loaf pans with cooking spray.
2. In a medium/large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and soda, Alternate adding flour mixture and Greek yogurt to creamed mixture. Fold in blueberries.
4. In a small bowl, stir brown sugar and cinnamon well.
5. Spread 1/2 blueberry batter in prepared pans. Sprinkle half of the brown sugar mixture over the wet batter. Top with remaining blueberry batter, and finish with a sprinkling of the remaining brown sugar mix.
6. Place in center of hot oven and bake 38-42 minutes. Let cool in pans. Use a knife to loosen edges before removing. Serve warm or cooled.
Participating in these link-ups.