Orange spiced almonds, salted caramel pretzels, honey-kissed cereal and a melted cinnamon chip drizzle--This is not your average snack mix.
This mix came about because of a peanut allergy. I was helping out with a friend's baby shower this weekend, and after purchasing some peanut butter M&Ms to put in treat cups, I remembered the host has a child with a peanut allergy in her house. Oops--I needed to fill those little cups with something else. So I perused my pantry.
I had a full bag of Snyder's Salted Caramel Pretzel Pieces. These are pretty amazing on their own, but one bag wasn't enough for my needs, so I decided to make a mix.
I also had some raw almonds, Honey Nut Chex cereal, as well as a bag of cinnamon chips in my freezer. Eureka! I had a plan!
I micro-cooked the almonds with orange flavoring and zest, butter, spices and brown sugar. While those were cooling, I mixed everything else but the chips in a large bowl, then added the cooled almonds. I laid all this out on a Silpat-lined cookie sheet, then drizzled it with melted cinnamon chips. Perfect!
Sugar and Spice Snack Mix
Makes 8 cups
2 cups Orange Spiced Almonds (recipe below)
1 (10 oz) bag Salted Caramel Pretzel Pieces
4 cups Honey Nut Chex (or generic)
1 cup cinnamon baking chips
1 tablespoon coconut oil (or shortening)
1. Mix first three ingredients in a large bowl, then spread on wax-paper or a silicon mat. I put my mat on a baking sheet to contain it.
2. In a microwave safe dish, melt cinnamon chips on medium heat for 1 minute. Stir, then add coconut oil and heat in 30 sec intervals until smooth.
3. Using a spoon, drizzle melted cinnamon chips over dry mixture. Let cool, then break up to serve.
Orange Spiced Almonds
2.5 cups raw almonds
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2-1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1 teaspoon orange extract (optional)
1 tablespoon water
1. In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave butter just until mostly melted. Add rest of ingredients and microwave on high, uncovered 3-4 minutes, stirring after each minute.
2. Spread hot spiced nuts on wax paper to cool.
Treasure Box Tuesday
Create Link Inspire
Teach Me Tuesday
Hump Day Happenings
Totally Terrific Link Up
Create & Share
Create It Thursday
Cook It! Craft It! Share It!
All Things Thursday
Think and Make Thursday
Craft Frenzy Friday
Let's Get Real
Pin Junkie Pin Party
Weekend Recipe Link Party
Best of the Weekend
Say G'day Linky Party
My Favorite Things Saturdays
DIY Sunday Showcase
Two Cup Tuesday
Wine'd Down Wednesday