I chose the word "perfect" to describe these cookies for good reason. I can honestly say I wouldn't change a single thing about how these turned out. I made a second batch, just to be sure.
Lightly crispy edges and chewy, soft insides make these delicious (and because they are 100% whole wheat--nutritious!) cookies unsurpassed. This will be a new go-to recipe, especially during the fall and winter months when ginger, cinnamon and cloves smell so warm and comforting. You can unplug that scented wax warmer while making these babies. Your house will smell AMAZING!
One thing that is unique about this ginger cookie recipe, is it doesn't call for molasses. I love molasses cookies, but I don't always have it on hand. What I do always have around is maple syrup. I decided to put maple syrup in the recipe and couldn't be more pleased with the results!
Perfect Whole Wheat Ginger Cookies
Makes 3 dozen
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (all-purpose works)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger
3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup granulated sugar (for rolling)
Dash of ginger, cinnamon, cloves (for rolling)
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray or line cookie sheets.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda salt and spices.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and brown sugar. Add maple syrup and egg, beating well. Pour in flour mixture and stir well. Dough will be thick.
4. In a small bowl, stir granulated sugar with a dash of each of the spices. Using a medium cookie scoop or tablespoon, make 1-inch cookie dough balls. Roll each ball in sugar, and place 3 inches apart on cookie sheets.
5. Bake 9 minutes, or until very light brown on edges. Middles should rise, but still look un-done when you remove the cookies from the oven. Wait 2-3 minutes to remove from cookie sheets to cooling rack. The cookies will flatten as they cool, and firm up so they hold together nicely. Store in an air-tight container.